Do you like solving problems and working for meaningful nonprofit organizations that make the world a better place? We’ve got the position for you.
Cornershop Creative (https://cornershopcreative.com) is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based WordPress developer to join our 30+ distributed team.
The core responsibility for this position will be investigating, troubleshooting, and coding solutions for WordPress-based websites. The person occupying this role will spend their time making iterative changes and bug fixes to design, functionality, and backend improvements on websites Cornershop manages and maintains. Tasks may include setting up WordPress custom post types, adding and configuring plugins, optimizing sites for performance, troubleshooting PHP errors, and minor HTML, CSS (SCSS), and JS coding.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious troubleshooter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but who also enjoys working as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a permanently distributed shop (not just during the pandemic), you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
Specifically, the things we’re looking for include:
- Experience with receiving end-user bug reports, recreating the issues, and diving into the codebase to quickly identify root causes
- Experience with WordPress theming: template hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, etc.
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS3/SCSS
- Ability to write CSS/SASS for cross-browser, responsive design (not just by using Bootstrap)
- Experience with FreshDesk or other comparable ticket management platforms
- Experience quickly and effectively maintaining, troubleshooting, and supporting code written by other developers
- Familiarity with command line tools like git, gulp and wp-cli
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev regarding semantics, performance, accessibility, SEO, and cross-browser consistency
- Ability to not lose your s#!% when you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px” (and then getting asked to change it back), which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment (we keep pretty busy!) and manage a workload of several projects at a time
- Being passionate about progressive causes
- Superb written and oral communication skills
Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Troubleshooting mySQL performance issues (and writing performant queries)
- Familiarity with Apache/nginx configuration, tuning and troubleshooting
- Ability to understand and work with common third-party REST APIs
- Develop ingenious scripts to facilitate complicated cross-platform content migrations
- Familiarity with common nonprofit solutions, such as Luminate Online, Salsa Labs, Engaging Networks, Salesforce, and/or other similar platforms
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- Writing basic bash scripts and performing other devops/Linux sysadmin kinds of stuff
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
Competitive benefits include:
- 100% medical coverage on platinum level plan
- Dental and vision insurance options
- 401k with 2% employer match
- Work from home
- 100% monthly internet reimbursement
- Workspace furnishing budget
- Professional development budget
- Generous and flexible PTO package
To apply, visit https://cornershopcreative.com/apply/ to submit:
- Your résumé, which should include an indication of which US state you live and work in
- A brief cover letter, explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- If possible, links to work you’ve been involved with that we should see, such as recent websites or testimonials
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
US applicants only, and no agencies!
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.