Headquarters: Austin, Texas
GLIDE, a digital creative agency based in Austin, Texas is looking for a WordPress Support Developer. This role is remote and freelance / contract with potential to become full-time.
ABOUT THE JOB
Are you a talented WordPress developer who wants to step away from the daily grind of the site build process? Are you an experienced WordPress developer who is a master of putting out fires and solving short-term technical issues?
We’re not looking for someone to develop websites per se! We’re thankful to have multiple teams of highly skilled front and backend developers. We’re looking for that many-armed expert who can simultaneously answer client support tickets, troubleshoot issues with live WordPress sites, and communicate progress with our internal management team. You will collaborate with our Support & Development lead to manage tickets by severity and work periodically with our external development team to assign long-term solutions where necessary.
And yes, occasionally dazzle us with your rockstar coding abilities by solving the uniquely complex technical problems you’d be excited and proud to share with colleagues.
Your expertise in WordPress development, excellent communication skills, and ability to deliver fast and effective technical solutions based on best practices, experience, and out-of-the-box ideas are why you would succeed as WordPress Support Developer at GLIDE.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manage ongoing support tickets for clients in FreshDesk
- Troubleshoot and assess reported client issues for level of effort and severity
- Work with operations and support teams to diagnose and resolve support issues
- Assist with hands-on coding solutions to issues on live WordPress sites
- Raise client brand awareness; acting as brand ambassador to internal teams.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Participate in weekly team meetings to discuss and solve critical issues
- Collaborate with support and operations teams to streamline our support process
- Code review the work of other developers and notate solutions with detail and clarity
- Advocate for accessibility, compliance, and privacy (WCAG, GDPR, CCPA, etc.)
- 5+ years of proven experience as a WordPress developer on production sites
- Extensive experience building and troubleshooting complex WordPress sites
- Experience working on a team in a technical support role
- Portfolio website and/or samples of past work and completed projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a similar field is a plus
Advanced knowledge of:
- The entire WordPress development process
- Custom WordPress themes, Gutenberg, Multisite, Woocommerce, Custom post types
- Common plug-ins like ACF (advanced custom fields), Gravity Forms and Yoast SEO
- Performance optimization (testing site speed, Google Page Speed and Core Vitals
- QA for design-matched front-end experiences (we love beautiful design)
Thorough knowledge of:
- Crafting modern and well-documented PHP
- HTML5 and CSS3 (including frameworks like Bootstrap or Foundation)
- Integrating complex third-party APIs including REST and GraphQL
- JSON, XML, YAML formats (fetching and parsing values)
- Technical SEO troubleshooting: Yoast, XML Sitemaps, robots.txt
- Server environment (Apache and Nginx) error log and database (mySQL) query troubleshooting
Working knowledge of:
- WP Engine (including deployment of dev/staging/production environments)
- Using CSS compilers (LESS or Sass) and build tools like Gulp via Node.js
- Version control and repositories (Git and Bitbucket)
- Ecommerce platforms like Shopify and payment gateways like Stripe
- Analytics platform troubleshooting using Google Analytics & Google Tag Manager
WHY WE’LL LOVE YOU
You say “Hell Yeah!” when reading our core values:
Build meaningful relationships – You see every day as an opportunity to grow and inspire and celebrate others.
Love what you do – You do it for the love of the craft and the process and because work excites you.
Better every day – You’d rather live in the stretch zone than the comfort zone. Trying new things is the only way to grow.
Deliver faithfully – You set clear and realistic expectations for yourself and others. Then you follow through.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE US
Here’s a few reasons we think you’ll love working at GLIDE:
Purpose – Unrelenting focus on our core purpose to help people who help others
Freedom – Freedom of time, location and work hours to balance your work/life
People – Collaboration with kind-hearted, humble, and talented “A” players
Remote – Work from anywhere, travel the world, be FREE to roam!
Balance – We never ask people to work nights, weekends or holidays
Growth – We encourage, recognize, and support employee career development
Culture – Daily, weekly, quarterly and annual cultural activities
Recognition – 628 encouraging Slack posts of specific recognition in 2020
G-Labs – Core GLIDE initiative to collaborate, innovate and make a better world
Strategy – We communicate big picture, annual and quarterly goals regularly
This position is part-time and hourly to start. Not to worry. The pay is competitive and what you’d expect for this role. We like to employ a crawl, walk, run approach. Start out with a project or two and let’s make sure we’re a good fit.
For this specific role we are seeking someone who US-based only. You should be fluent in English and have a strong wifi signal to support Zoom video chats with our team and clients.
We celebrate our diversity, of nationality, race, ethnicity, gender, religion, lifestyle, location, and more. We believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly encourage people of color, individuals who identify as LGBTQ+, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
No agencies or recruiters please.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/glide-wordpress-support-developer